Monday, March 03, 2008

Life Changing Weekend

Hub and I finally did it, we ran out of cigarettes and neither one of us have gone out to buy more.
The last cigarette was smoked Saturday at approximately 9:30 PM, by Hub. My last one was at about 8.

I am sooo surprised we have not unleashed a lot of hurtful words, or at least glared at each other. But there is always the next 30 seconds for that.

Sunday morning it didn't bother me, but I think Hub was having issues. His normal morning routine was turned upside down. his morning consisted of coffee and cigarettes, two cups and 3-4 cigs - just guessing here.
Sunday, being his first morning without cigs was a little confusing, and I think it rattled him a bit. He pretty much said "why have coffee if you can't have a cigarette" and "I might as well give up coffee too".
That's his prerogative, but for me, I need my morning cup of java.

Although, I don't smoke as much as Hub, I still smoke (notice how I used the present tense).
My first cig of the day is normally the minute I get home from work, about 4:30. I'll eventually smoke anywhere from 4 to 6 cigs before going to bed. So the morning isn't a big deal to me. Now the afternoon and evening, I found that to be surprisingly difficult. The thought of smoking kept running through my mind, over and over. Every time I realized I wasn't thinking about it I thought about it. I wanted a cigarette really, really bad. I would look over at Hub and he seemed to be coping pretty well, if he could do it then so could I. I will not be the first one to break down and buy a pack - I hope. I must keep busy while at home. And I did, I cooked - fresh salsa, a big a$$ pot of pinto beans, and pork stew with home made red chili.

Altho, I must be honest and admit I was hoping he would cave, but he didn't and I'm very proud of him. Chances are that I'll be the one to scream out UNCLE, and run to the nearest convenience store for a pack. I guess we will just have to wait and see.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so VERY happy for both of you. Truthfully I think it will be a little easier for you since you didn't smoke all day. You'd already broken the habit of smoking while at work and now this is the last step. Ya'll can do it!!! :-)

~ Wolf Lover Girl

"Z" said...

Like that.. "anonymous" then signed...

Anyway, If "Mr. M" can do it you can both do it too. We're all behind you. Good Luck!

"Z"