Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Week 3

I’ve come to the realization that this predicament that I’m in is wearing thin, very quickly. Yes, my first time ever on crutches I thought would be something new, something different. Dare I say that it has met my expectations and then some? Well, it has, and not necessarily for the good.

The first couple of weeks it was a novelty, but novelties wear out eventually.
I’ve come to the conclusion that crutches are do-able for a week, maybe 2, but I’m nearing the end of week 3 and I’ve discovered I HATE CRUTCHES!
The crutches have already been thrown across the room 3 times, had 5 mental/emotional meltdowns, and find myself cursing my body for not being 20 years old anymore.

In the morning, once up and moving, I shower, then proceed with the normal stuff, coffee, get dressed, apply war paint (makeup), and then sit on the bed because I’m already tired from having to hop on one leg to get things done. Luckily, Hub will get my lunch together and then I’m off to work.
The first 2 weeks, Hub was my driver and I appreciate all that he has done, but now I’m allowed to get behind the wheel – WooHooo!!!!
I have my little blue placard which allows me to park in a handicapped space so getting into the building shouldn’t be too bad.
As parking is at a premium at work, I leave at least 60 to 90 minutes earlier to get a parking spot close to the entrance of the building.

I sit at my desk ALL DAY LONG, the only time I get up is to hobble out to the restroom.
Lunch is at my desk, because it’s just toooooooo far to walk down to the lunch room.
Going home seems to be the one truly bright part of the day.
Once home, I plant myself on the sofa and put my leg into the CPM machine to work my knee. This lasts for about 3 – 4 hours (on the weekends its 6 hours), then it’s off to bed.
The weekends pretty much is on the sofa reading, watching television, surfing the web, playing games or watching Netflix movies.

The only thing I keep telling myself is that I have only 3 more weeks, 3 more weeks!! This will come to an end and I will be walking on two legs again. The crutches will be placed in the far back section of the closet until my body decides it’s going to revolt once again.

I apologize for being such a whiner, but you try being on crutches for 3 weeks and not bitching about it. Just wait until I’m in week 6, who knows what I’ll be bitching about then.

One last thing, be grateful that you have your health and working limbs. I’ve a new-found respect and admiration for those who are permanently disabled.

No comments: