Saturday, May 26, 2007

New Mexico Trip - The Graduation

I was in Albuquerque, NM last week to watch my niece, Brit, graduate from high school.
I find it hard to believe that more than 17 years have past since this little toddler screamed and yelled at me for not allowing her to go running into the street. I still remember what she was wearing - a pink & red sweater and red pants, and a down filled pink parka with white fuzzy trim. It seems like it was yesterday. Time sure does fly, any way...

During the graduation, I was taking photos of her (and classmates) filing into her seat when I was hit with a tidal wave of memories and emotions. I've never been hit with this before and was really surprised that it happened. It seemed like a movie, me standing taking pictures and at the same time reliving all the memories I have of this beautiful little girl. Well, not so little any more, she turned 18 last October.
I've never had (or ever will have) my own children, but if I had I would hope my daughter would be exactly like Brit. Smart, beautiful, funny, enjoys life, loyal to family and friends, a bit mischievous without hurting anyone, loves animals, stands by her beliefs, is not easily lead astray; jeez I could go on and on about the girl.
Our graduation gift to her was a trip to California sponsered by her church. This is going to be really interesting because the kids can't have video games, cell phones (no texting), or music (ipods, radios, etc.). Tons of activities are planned, some include camping on the beach, surfing, sailing, and shopping. Can't remember the rest, but I do know that there will be lots to do.
Back to the graduation: there were approximately 750+ students who graduated in her class. Just prior to the students taking there seats, I noticed several men (teachers?) frisking the male students. It turns out that a couple of years ago, the senior class smuggled 75-100 beach balls into the arena, blew them up and began tossing them around. Apparently this caused a bit of a disruption in the ceremonies. I would have thought Silly String would have been a better idea.
The main thing is that she graduated, yeah!! And will be attending University of New Mexico at Albuquerque for now. Her goal is to get her DVM - Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.

She's a very determined and focused young lady and I have every confidence in her.

Until next time...

1 comment:

Wolf Lover Girl said...

sniff, sniff... you started to sound like a Halmark card! ;-)

Wow! Can't take anything with them on their trip, won't that be interesting.

I agree, silly string would be so much more fun. I think of that commercial where all the kids gather together in some business building and start shooting it at each other... maybe we should do this for the Presidents last day... ok maybe not.

~ Wolf Lover Girl