Sunday, September 09, 2007

Glutton for Punishment

Exhaustion!

Love the word. Hate the word. I am the word.

Hi my name is Roz and I'm exhausted.

The past week work has be B.U.S.Y.! Which is really a good thing because time flies when I'm kept busy. I really don't want to bore anyone with all the details, because work is work, what can I say?

Saturday however is another story. It was another busy day culminating in utter exhaustion by 11 PM.
It started in the morning getting all my photo gear together and prepped for a wedding gig in the evening. I also scheduled time to check out the golf club where the ceremony and reception will be held. Once that was done, Hub and I went out for lunch, came home and did another check on the equipment. At this point I was stressing and hoping that everything would come out without any major malfunctions. The more I thought, the worse my nerves were getting. This is one the reasons I really don't like shooting weddings - too much pressure.

As I new this was going to be a long night, I thought (and Hub agreed) that a nice nap would be beneficial. Well, I laid in bed for an hour or so trying to think of calm, serene thoughts - floating in a pool, walking on a beach listening to the waves, getting a full body massage - you know anything that would relax not only my body, but more importantly, my mind. No - It didn't happen. The wedding kept cropping up.

By the time I started feeling relaxed it was time to get ready, so I did. I grabbed everything I needed and took off.

Everything went fine, no problems...really.
Just one minor issue where my camera decided to ERROR OUT while the bride was walking toward the isle with her father. This error caused the camera to freeze - that's right, a photographer's worst nightmare.
During my panic (which lasted what seemed an eternity) I must have tensed up so much that I pulled a muscle just above my right knee. Don't ask how, all I know is that it was killing me the entire night.
I managed to get the camera going again before the bride made to the alter. I spoke with the bride and she wasn't worried about it all, and told me not to worry. But I did.

Like I said everything else went good and I ended up home shortly after 11 pm totally exhausted. Almost fell asleep on the sofa with an ice pack on my leg.

Did I mention that I don't like doing weddings??? Although the money is decent, it's hard work and stress levels are something else.

What makes me laugh, is that I've been asked to shoot another wedding, and I am actually considering it. It's a Halloween themed wedding - everyone will be in costume. I don't know, but it sounds like fun.

Just call me a glutton for punishment.

No comments: