Thursday, September 13, 2007

They Drive Among Us

I like everyone else in the Dallas metroplex have been know to "multi-task" throughout the day, but thankfully I have my limits - unlike other people.

Driving down the access road on I-35E, I spotted the driver of a large white truck at a stop light wrestling with something on the seat next to him. At first I thought it might be a small child (don't ask why, that's what it looked like). It turned out that he was fighting to get his laptop out of it's case. As I sat there and watched this very animated attempt, I said to my self "Aah, he can't be serious!" I turned to see if anyone else was watching and discovered that another driver had their CrackBerry out either reading or sending a message while eating a McD's sandwich. Mr. White truck had he laptop up and running and was typing as the light turned green. As I sat looking at him with a furrowed brow, he glanced up, offered a very weak smile and went back to the laptop. The light changed and I continued on my merry way. I glance in the rear view mirror when I heard several car horns erupt. It seems Mr. CrackBerry was too engrossed in his task to pay attention to what was going on around him.

My questions are...
  • what did these people do before the laptops, cell phones and other technical gadgets?
  • what makes them believe they, or their work, is so important that they cannot wait till they reach their destination.


This I think is one of the reason traffic totally sucks in the DFW metroplex. I personally try to avoid use of my cellphone while driving. Lord knows I have to...I need to pay attention to all the other idiots who are to busy to pay attention to their driving.

Oh, well....

2 comments:

Jess said...

Answers to your questions:

1. They lived lives with much lower stress levels, but they probably also had people from work calling them at home all the time.

2. They are told that their work is that important. By their employers. Because if you're on call and have a 15 minute time limit to answer a page...and it's a matter of keeping your job...sitting too long at a red light seems like a small price.

Not saying it's right, just saying that employers have rather inflated ideas of just how important their businesses are and what their employees can reasonably be expected to do.

Wolf Lover Girl said...

I had an idiot next to me with his cell phone perched on his shoulder next to his ear and a sandwich in the other hand. And he was trying to get into the lane I was in.

Not really related to traffic but to comment on your "what did you do before..." I find it funny that "the roach" will visit me in my cube to chat or whatever but if he hears his phone ring he has to run and catch it. Hello... you have voicemail! I guess who ever is calling is much more important than me, but I'm okay for you to come and bug while I'm working but you don't really have enough to keep you busy...

Okay, I'll get down now.

~ Wolf Lover Girl