Friday, October 10, 2008

Massive Freak Out and the Ex

I'm currently in El Paso to visit my parents and attend my 30th high school reunion.
Parents are doing well and as always, it's wonderful to see them.

Tonight is the first night of a four day reunion. Tonight is a happy hour at one of El Paso's established bars, the King's X. This place has been around longer than I can remember, but I'm not sure if I was going.

I was teetering back and forth - I'm going, then I'm not. In the end I decided to go, but, I had my brother Mike come with me because I didn't want to get there and not recognize a soul (and no one recognize me) and sit there alone - that would definitely unnerve me.
So we get to the King's X, and as we're walking to the door I tell Mike that we'll go straight to the bar, grab a drink and start scoping out the crowd. It's a plan!

I walk up and open the door and see several long tables pulled together and several groups of people all drinking and talking. I take two steps in the door and EVERYONE looks toward the door. Then I hear someone scream out "It's Rozzana!!".

OMG! I was sudden surrounded by several strangers who looked soooo familiar. Names started rushing into my head, but I couldn't place them with the correct face. It was soo damn freaky. The first person who ran up to me was Loretta, we used to walk home from school together in the 8th or 9th grade. Other people came up and hugged me and immediate started asking questions about everything. I knew them but I didn't. It was all just soo strange and confusing. I managed to escape using the excuse that I needed a drink and I'll be right back. This is when I moved away from the group and just looked. There had to have been about 30 to 40 people that I knew but hadn't thought of in 30 years.

I grabbed a beer and went straight to Bobby, the reunion organizer, and started talking to him. After we caught up, he started helping me with matching names with faces. He pointed to his right and said something about how I may want to start here. Not understanding what he said, I followed the direction of his finger and stood looking into the smiling face of my ex boyfriend. I think I scream and then we hugged. He looked at me and said exactly what I expected - "You were my very last girl friend".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well I guess you won't have to worry about him... ;-)

Hope you enjoy the rest of the events.

~ Wolf Lover Girl