Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The Past, Revisited

The reunion weekend has come and gone, and I am so glad I was there. It was great see the people I ran with in my childhood and adolescent years.

There was, however, one person who I was eager to see - my high school sweetheart, the EX. Saw him on Thursday night at the kick-off gathering. When I found out he was there, I instantly got nervous. We talked for a while exchanged pleasantries and then each went off to mingle with others.

The next night, was the official start of the reunion. We gathered at an Italian restaurant and welcomed those of who were unable to attended the kick-off party the night before. The group in attendance was growing each day. Saw the EX and we spent a little more time together, while hanging out with everyone. It seemed we were finally becoming comfortable with each other and started have more fun.

Saturday's festivities was the dinner/dance at the country club. Boy was that place out in the boondocks. The view however, was absolutely gorgeous.

After catching up with old classmates, I spent the much of the evening with the EX, talking, dancing, and reminiscing - together and with others.
During our visit down memory lane, I admitted that I had ulterior motives for wanting to see him. That seemed to pique his interest, so I summoned up the courage and asked him to tell me about the night we broke up, because I had no recollection of that night at all. I think I caught him off guard with my memory lapse, but he agreed.

We sat and he told me everything that happened that night 30 years ago, and as he spoke I started remembering. Slowly bits and pieces came back. I remembered how I felt - the anger and fear, I even recall some of the thoughts that had gone through my mind at the time. He was very forthcoming with information regarding his feelings, and answered my questions with complete honesty. The one thing he repeated was that he never wanted to hurt me - he was very sincere and I believe him.
It was a little sad, but I finally had closure. Yeah, that sounds silly, but it was true. The break up was inevitable and, now, I know that it would never have happened for us. I guess you could say that no matter how hard we both tried, we were doomed.

Driving back to the hotel later that night, I thought about the evening and I recall why I had fallen so hard for this guy. He made me laugh! He is smart, funny, and that smile of his was contagious. Plus he looked really hot in his band (drum major) uniform.

Final goodbyes were said to all at brunch on Sunday. Not everyone attended, just the few close knit groups. Email addresses and cell numbers were exchanged, promises to keep in touch were made by many. Many with the exception of me. I made no promises and took no info from anyone.
Well, that's not quite true. I did take one phone number.

EX, thanks for the memories!


By the way, Hub knows everything, so don't go starting rumors.

No comments: