Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Feeling the Pain and Loving It (sort of)

One day back in October, Hub and I went to a local festival and came across a booth run by a chiroprator offering a free chiropractic spine test. Hub and I had just recently talked about me going to have my back checked out because my back hurt. It hurt in the morning, it hurt when I walked for long periods of time, and when I sat for too long. I was hurting pretty much all the time, but I had become so accustomed to it that I learned to ignore it. So I thought what the heck, I'm here and the chiroprator was here and it was a freebie test.
This is how I found myself a patient or client at Starin's Chiropractic Care and Family Wellness Center.

I was diagnosed with a curved spine and subluxation of the vertibrae which is a misalignment of the vertibrae. A subluxation can cause pain, because when the bones move they press on nerves that exit out holes provided by the interface between two adjacent vertibrae.

So now, three times a week I get my back adjusted, and get physical therapy and trigger point therapy. One day a week I have a deep tissue massage.
After a month of these adjustments, trigger point therapy and exercises I am feeling pretty darn good. I'm amazed at the way I'm walking now, it's more of a fluid movement. I feel as though I'm gliding, it's great.

A couple of days ago I had an evaluation of my progress, and found that I've improved by 63%. I still have a ways to go, but it's worth it! My back is straightening out, I now have less than half the number of subluxated vertibrae than before. I still have some irrated nerves, but it's getting better.

My massage therapist Carolyn, is wonderful. She is a 26 year old, 6 ft. amazon. Great sense of humor and immediately puts you at ease.
She'll grab my back muscles and work the knots (muscle contractions or trigger points) out with a vengence. Not really, although, she has a firm touch and will apply as much pressure as I can take in order to release the trigger points. When a trigger point is released, toxins within the muscle contraction are also released, so you have to drink plenty of water to flush them out of your system otherwise you can end up feeling nauseated. It's also highly recommended to soak in hot water and Epsom salt to relax the muscles. The Epsom salt also help in what ever bruising occurs; and yes, I was bruised. You have to go through discomfort to feel better.

My physical therapist, Rachel, is a crazy little blonde who weighs 90 pounds (if that much) soaking wet. She's also is a motorcycle riding stunt woman. I'm not too sure how old she is, but she looks like she could be in her late teens. She, also, has a great sense of humor and is always in a good mood. Everyone likes her.

Overall, everyone there is extremely nice and very personable.

I'll continue posting updates on my progress and experience. So for now I shall bid you adieu and talk to y'all later.

Until next time...

No comments: